PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 16:29
Ozgrade3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have lost all desire to work for an airline in Australia after watching the hiring & training process of some friends and workmates, of a huge US regional jet airline. If you meet their low minimum requirements (like 1500TT 75 ME) , you fire off an email. A few days later you get an email saying they want a skype interview. The interview I observed was very cordial and friendly, encouraging even, yet thorough on the technical stuff. They understood that someone who was an instructor in Australia wouldn’t be 100% up to speed on USA procedures. They didn’t care that it was only instructing the candidate had done. It was like they were trying to find a way the candidate could get through the interview, they WANTED the candidate to get through…..numerous times they said “we really want you to join our team, we are a great place to work”.

The training was tough, standards were high, but the instructors were friendly and really wanted the candidate to get the highest performance level possible, very much a collage type atmosphere – read fun. Support all round, but make no mistake, standards are high. The line training captains were more of the same. Friendly and encouraging without the inflated egos often found in Australia. I now have over 10 friends and acquaintances checked to line and flying in the biggest game in the world….in jets, in weather I can’t even imagine.

After reading here about experiences in the hiring process alone (being on a hold file for 2 years then being told you have to re-apply), and how some airlines treat their staff, especially at one often mentioned turbo prop regional in Oz, I’m more than happy to stay a lowly instructor…………sorry airlines in Australia, I’m just not interested any more.