PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question bank vs Learning
View Single Post
Old 23rd Sep 2017, 15:40
TryingToAvoidCBs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is very close to my heart.

As a student, I was always very passionate about learning. I wanted to know everything there was to know. I chose to do a residential course to maximise the information I could get access to. I refused to use the QB at all for the first 4 months of the course (we didn't actually even have access to it unless we payed extra, which I refused having already spent 5K for the course).

I did note however that those on my course using the BGS QB were getting much higher exam results than me despite not actually having a clue about 90% of the material. "The answer is B because I've seen this question 30 times already"....those kind of people.

I walked out of Ground school with an 88% average...one of the lowest in my class. But I honestly felt that I knew the material inside out.
I went on after my MCC to teach ATPL theory, both modular, integrated and for BSc (hons) degrees in Aviation Studies for over 3 years.

That was in 2011. How many of the students in my class who hit the QB hard now work for airlines? as far as I know..........ZERO.
There were a few in my class who did 50/50 learning, and of those about half have jobs, most within the corporate sector. There are only 3 from my class working for airlines (including myself).

Admittedly the market is much better now, so exam results are not as important as they once were. They are more (and have always been) part of a selection test to see whether you have the ability to learn a lot of information (relevant or not) in a short amount of time. This ensures you have the capacity to hold large amounts of information in your head, and that you are capable of passing a type rating. It is for this reason the airlines have generally seen ATPL exam results as an important recruitment factor.
Learning answers to the QB is not going to help you in the long run...In my opinion. But that depends on your academic ability.

Regarding Officer Kites comments, I would agree that as the QB have become more prolific, the CAA have been under a lot of pressure from the airlines to make the ATPL exams harder, in an attempt to minimise the "learning the answers" method, and increase the students requirements to "learn the subject".
Although I will openly admit they havn't done a very good job of it, and the students now appear to be more confused that at any time in history. Do you answer correctly? or answer what you know (from the QB) the CAA claims is the right answer?

I would also add in regard to Officer Kites comment "Quite honestly, I wouldn't have passed without the question banks. I don't think any ATPL student can argue otherwise", with all due respect you can't have worked particularly hard then. The ATPL syllabus is not difficult if you put your mind to it. I passed all mine without barely touching a QB in 6 months.

In closing, in 2017 the QB's are needed more than ever due to the confusing nature of the syllabus. However, please don't rely on them. Once you start a type rating, the skills you will have gathered from needing to learn how to learn will be very valuable. Especially if you're paying for your own TR.

Critical rant over.
Good luck.