PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailrotor failure - is it always unrecoverable ?
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 14:32
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas coupling
Shy - so you want other peers to believe that a Puma touched down at 162mph with a major malfunction in the knowledge that the very instant he lowered the lever (to stay on the runway) his aircraft would have commenced a side slip due to the yaw differential?

C'mon Shy - perleeeeeeze smell the coffee.

I cannot attest to the particular event but I know of similar landings post tail rotor problems.

At one Operator I had the misfortune to hire on with.....flying BK's....the procedure taught was exactly that. In training I saw Approach speeds in excess of 100 KTS.....but no touch downs.

When I inquired if the TC was making a very bad joke....he had quite a sense of humor failure and demanded to know what I would do differently.

Up we went...established the same setup....and I did an autoration and accepted some yawning at the bottom with zero ground speed.....which seems far safer an arrival than getting to the bottom at over a hundred knots ground speed and full chat on the rotor system....very limited yaw control....and thoughts that following through with Cyclic might prove to be a bit of a challenge!

But then what do I know?

Last edited by SASless; 22nd Sep 2017 at 23:30.