PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailrotor failure - is it always unrecoverable ?
Old 22nd Sep 2017, 11:26
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the course of my varied professional life, I have been fortunate to debrief literally dozens of pilots who have survived various catastrophic experiences. Apart from making my decision making process more comprehensive, it has made others more aware as I cascaded this information at every opportunity.
In this particualr instance (TRF and TRCF) research, revision and calm - were the common factors with all the debriefers.

Shy - I'm struggling with a 140+Knot running landing on a narrow tricycle undercarriage I am afraid - it's just not going to happen.

And I concur with gullibell - no sane pilot would ever 'knownigly' transition out of a hover after a real TR failure because he would be completely disorientated within seconds as the G foces and dizziness and blurred vision overcame him - again this leaves a lot to be believed.

A TRF in the hover is dead easy - lower the lever. The end.

It requires little or no thinking. You simply take your chance with the impact.
[Chopping throttles and cushioning the landing is a very very nice luxury and tends to be the option available only to the lightning quick and very calm driver).