PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 22:14
Aussie_pilot85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Aussie_pilot85,

Have you or anyone of your personal acquaintance experienced anything like that ?

Nothing humans do should be much of a surprise, I guess, but I'd expect such animosity to be rare...and can just be politely ignored. Don't get sucked into any open hostilities over it....ain't worth it.

People here are probably surprised the USA (of all places) had to turn to the expat market to fill airline seats. I have to admit to being one of them but any animosity should be directed at everyone EXCEPT the expats who're just doing what motivated, enterprising people do: taking advantage of a decent opportunity, which they had no hand in creating, to advance their career.
Unfortunately yes I have personally experienced it. I have a very thick skin so it bounces right off. Had a few Captains I've flown with make comments about the company shouldn't be giving jobs to Aussies. Usually I have 4 days with them so I can turn them by the end of the trip.

Most of the time it is a lack of understanding, its a free trade visa that swings both ways. Many Americans go to AUS using the same visa just in other industries at the moment due to the aviation industry in AUS only now coming out and hiring after years of layoffs.

Once I explain it and also the fact they are not sponsoring us, just issuing us a letter that says they will not pay us less than they would pay an American and we get the visa on our own it all turns out good (or they refuse to budge and we spend an awkward 4 days together - they also happen to be the CA's that don't tip the van driver, coincidence?)