PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 21st Sep 2017, 19:46
Aussie_pilot85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just throwing my 2 cents worth in - I was already in the USA on an E3 visa at a flight school. Applied to Piedmont and SkyWest and got accepted by both.

Piedmont was my first choice however they were struggling with the E3 visa process (sent me LCA's that weren't even submitted to the labor department etc). SkyWest is now a well oiled machine and had the LCA in my inbox 3 days after the interview. I waited for over a month and multiple phone calls / emails to PDT before I pulled the plug and got the E3 with SkyWest. Not a dig at PDT, just teething issues. With the E3 sorted and training program catching up with new sims, I would probably go to PDT if I was making the decision today because I did want to live in Philly and get the AA benefits.

I am happy at SkyWest, I have used the United travel benefits to get to and from Sydney from Chicago multiple times without issue, only issue has been ORD-LAX leg with a couple of jumpseats etc. The international leg has always had 30+ economy seats, I've had business twice and the other times I have had a 3 seater to myself in 'comfort economy' (just extra leg room - but only cost $22.50 in taxes so not going to complain lol). Family have used the benefits as well. Probably 10 return trips and so far made every flight (touch wood).

Looking back on my decision I am happy, I am sure I would have been happy at PDT as well. My last count was over 10 different regionals now offering the E3 visa. If I were picking a regional right now, I would go with either a WO or SkyWest and choose based on the base you want and flying you want to do. All are great companies, the WO do have better travel benefits but for AUS travel I think SkyWest is better if you land the Delta, AA and United benefits (maybe not business but it'll get you there with options and don't forget ZED after 6 months).

Within the USA SkyWest benefits are terrible compared to WO who load on at a higher category but hey its still free and sometimes as I have learned you have to go south to get north or east to go west (ORD-DTW-LAX)!!!

For those unhappy with the Aussies here 'taking US jobs', suck it up. We are not taking jobs from Americans, we are stopping planes being parked due to lack of pilots (Horizon?) and once the boom stops the E3 visas won't be renewed and we will all be out of your hair. This has happened in reverse with Americans coming to AUS on the 457 visa when the aviation industry here was in a bad place.

For those worried about people saying stuff for commission (bonuses) simple solution - ask them to split the bonus and you both win