PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch 4
Thread: Monarch 4
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2017, 17:02
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by southside bobby
Bit of thread drift...but yup the original BMA seven 0`s were ex Pan Am -321`s the same as the Lloyd International original two ...Pan Am centered a part liason/engineering package around ATEL at STN which supported those original op`s... Yes & while true concerning the aborted ops from Castle Don as it was in those days,it also made sense to be closer to the engineering support...I don`t believe LTN was ever in the equation when it came to the Transatlantic ops as even with STN`s 10,000ft R/W with 186 pax & full fuel load & those old model engines Lloyd could not plan a direct flight to say Toronto on the ABC`s some days but would file technically into Gander & then with a how goes it with the fuel were be able most times to request an en route diversion to the intended destination. This was the case on warm summer day departures to JFK too.(The 321C was the game changer as Lloyd could do STN-LAX direct or certainly LAX-STN direct..
Great stories thanks - love the old memoirs

yes BMA's first pair were -321's (ex Pan Am) YVE & YBJ and I only have anecdotal evidence that a few Transatlantic ops were done from LTN before moving as you say, everything plus engineering to STN

Dan Air (YSL & ZTG) and Lloyd Intl (YAG & YRZ) also obtained a pair each with Donaldson taking 4 (ZWA BAEL YXR YVG)

(all were older -321's coal burners from Pan Am, with Donaldson refitting 3 of theirs with a freight door but with no other cargo mods.

Channel Airways was also looking at getting a pair too but they went under.

Lloyd Intl as you mention obtained a 707-324C (ZJM) in 1971 from CO which also ended up with BMA some years later in 1980 which I handled at LHR on a PIA KHI passenger contract we had - beautiful small first class cabin too with amazing food!
I can smell it cooking now! Nice folk at PIA.

well that's a wander down memory lane -

back to Monarch
and yes the 720B's went via Gandar or the Azores to St Lucia and the Caribbean islands.
the max pax load was 170Y - not sure if they reduced that for the long slogs.
MON/OM also leased in 1981 from BCAL a 707-355C (XRS) which enabled non-stops