PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultralight aircraft 2 strokes to be banned
Old 20th Sep 2017, 22:47
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
Before this thread deteriorates further, we need to get back to basics.

Firstly, pollution is actually wasted money if you think about it. Nobody wants to waste money.

In any argument, life cycle costs need to be considered as well as what economists call "externalities". For example, there is no saving on CO2 emissions from using electric cars if the power comes from coal fired power stations. You are just changing the location of the pollution.

There is a simply massive difference between theory and practice for new technologies. What works in the Lab may not work economically in the field. Dont believe what scientists and axe grinders tell you, ask the engineers who have t make stuff work.

Investments in existing technology are massive. In addition we have worked the bugs out of automotive technology and internal combustion engines over a hundred year period. It would be nice if we didn't have to throw all that away and start again.

All that stuff about LNG/liquid Ammonia/fairy dust/ electricity or whatever the latest solution is suffers from the comparison costs of deployment. What irks me is how the proponents gloss over the hurdles involved in practical engineering solutions to these issues.

Examples: Mum with three little kids in her SUV trying to fill it with liquid ammonia. The design of an electric power grid capable of powering electric recharging stations for electric car/truck traffic on the Hume highway, let alone the design of stations that can accommodate cars and trucks for thirty minute charging times.

Our best solution, absent a quantum leap in technology for example super duper batteries, is incremental improvement over time.

I have 9kw of solar on my roof, solar hot water as well, but I am not rushing for batteries any time soon. I used a Tesla taxi in Amsterdam, which was nice, but completely impractical over Australian scale inter city distances with current battery technology. As for alternative fuels, show me something that is less toxic than what we currently employ, that is available now on a massive scale and that can be distributed with existing infrastructure.