PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates: New "Acid" test after Recurrent SIM!
Old 20th Sep 2017, 20:50
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Pudding
Any other major carrier in the world conducting "surprise unannounced" line checks to try and catch their pilots out off guard and unprepared for a check ride?

From 1st Nov for every single flight, we are to sit in the briefing room wondering if a checker may or may not pitch up? How does this improve airmanship or SA?
We've had unannounced line checks in the U.S. for decades in my experience. Sometimes you know you are due for a line check (every two years for the PIC in an FAA AQP program) or can see an extra body on the flight crew list in the computer when you take a look at your jumpseat riders. Other times you are doing the departure paperwork when the 'friendly stranger' approaches you and announces that you are being checked.

Usually the line check with U.S. carriers is cordial and instructive unless you are not doing your job and something goes wrong during the flight. Don't know the failure rate but where I've worked, they are not out to get you in my opinion. I had a line check with a low fuel weather divert a few years ago and I put the check airman to work looking up alternates and communicating with dispatch. He was very pleased with the CRM and so was I.

Originally Posted by atakacs
Can anyone vouch for the authenticity of this
Originally Posted by Sqwak7700
Surely this is a wind up, right? Would be massive warning flag if not.
Originally Posted by sealear
Fake me thinks.
I was suspicious when I first read the email and when this whole thread was seemingly deleted I was pretty sure it was a hoax. But, it looks like it is real.