PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Europa Aircraft
Thread: Europa Aircraft
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2017, 17:33
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcusH
By the way, I wouldn't mind getting converted to a tailwheel, but if I did the machine would have to be good at handling cross winds.

Some people will try to tell you that the mono Europa is okay/good in crosswinds. Yes, with enough skill and fast reaction times from the pilot's feet, it is. But the glaring difference between the Europa mono and other tailwheel types is that the Europa has only one brake on the central mono-wheel, while most "proper" tailwheel types have brakes on both main wheels.

The differential braking afforded by two main wheels each with brakes makes a huge difference. The Europa has only the steerable tailwheel on the ground to keep you straight and this device really isn't an adequate substitute for brakes on both pedals. Of course I'm not taking into account the Europa's powerful rudder, which isn't of much benefit at low speeds when most ground loops occur.

As has so often been said and I've seen it happen more than once: "It isn't a case of IF you're going to ground loop a Europa mono; it's WHEN!"

Last edited by Colibri49; 20th Sep 2017 at 17:43.