PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tailrotor failure - is it always unrecoverable ?
Old 20th Sep 2017, 13:26
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
Making "absolute" statements. Where generalized comments are more appropriate would be a better approach to this.

Example...a Gulf of Mexico event where a Bell 412 had a total upset at night due to a tail rotor failure in cruise flight.....the Crew regained control and successfully landed the aircraft.

It is not the presence of SAS that determines the outcome but rather the ability to match weather vaning effect to main rotor torque by reducing Collective and reaching an airspeed/Pwer setting that allows that.

The biggest hindrance probably is far too many helicopter pilots just do not understand the interaction of the flight controls and rpm control and the affect they can have "Torque" applied to the airframe.

As there are many different kinds of tail rotor failure....in all kinds of situations....in all kinds helicopters....there can be no single response.

The key training issue is to explore control reactions in controlling "Torque" without use of the Tail Rotor.

Also....one has to grasp the fact "Green Arc's" are for NORMAL OPERATIONSand there is nothing Normal about dealing with a tail rotor failure.

One has to be able to instinctively react in some situations and then be able to follow up with learned concepts.....and doing whatever it takes to control the aircraft.

I have had one tail rotor failure at a hover....we landed with no damage.

I have had one Stuck Pedal situation in flight....and landed safely.

I attribute both to the quality of training I received in the US Army.

We did lots of practice in Huey's....and got to see the effect of the controls including throttle. I used those same techniques in other aircraft I flew later.

Originally Posted by Fareastdriver
Another problem with a drive failure in forward flight is that the tail rotor will go into autorotation. This could lead to flapback and large pro torque moment. The only way you can overcome this is to enter autorotation.

With old helicopters like the S55 and S58 you could get away with finding a power/speed combination to either a fast run on or an autorotation to the ground. Modern helicopters, especially those with a stabilisation system, don't have the aerodynamic qualities to continue flight so you are committed to landing fairly rapidly.