PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newcastle-9
Thread: Newcastle-9
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2017, 18:02
tigertanaka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by highwideandugly
I'm not sure these days what say airports actually have in a route network.

I'm sure Newcastle would love to have 3 daily returns to Bristol,Belfast,Stansted Gatwick and now Copenhagen et al...the airlines do the sums(apparently) and think Bristol to Poland ( that's a pick out of the sky BTW) makes them more money than a short haul routes with a potential of 200k passengers per year?, and that was Copenhagen as well ??
Now the common denominator is...EZY !!

Not sure what the answer is..we are all armchair CEOs. But without being parochial..this is the NE backwater!

No hope south of the region in DTV..at least Ncl is on the up again.
I am sure they have very little say in the routes they operate unless they are providing some subsidy in one form or another. However airports can encourage airlines by analysing their local market demands in detail and putting forward a case for a new destination.

The armchair CEO comment is absolutely spot on for this forum. Whilst we all have our opinions, posters would do well to remember that airlines have a mountain of data and teams of analysts to help them in their route planning (I'm no expert but off the top of my head: demographics, historical demand, business/tourism potential, load factor, yield, trolley sales, cargo potential, length of flight, turnaround time, landing fees, government taxes, cannibalisation of existing routes, competitor presence, crewing, not to mention aircraft availability)

Hey, MME beat NCL to a flight to NWI...!