PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - It's still fun!!
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2017, 16:03
Dougie M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to the Squadron Association Dinner two weeks ago and I can report from the serving squadron members that Yes "It's still Fun". The chances for having a good time are somewhat fewer because there are fewer guys doing the job these days. Some years ago the C130K world was immense by today's standards having 60 odd airframes and by the mid 70s four squadrons worth of employment. I and the other well trained border collies on the Tac Support side of the airfield had the best of both worlds. Route flying was a means to get you into theatre and the challenge of low level ops in a different environment. Rhodesia, Ethiopia, The Middle East, Nevada and Alaska. Certain Captains would insist that you flew the aircraft for varying reasons and it all proved useful when recently training a Central African Air Force when the sole pilot instructor required assistance whilst changing seats. It has been said that a man whose job is also his hobby never does a day's work. Well that was my lot from 1976 till 2006. I'm not sure what that is in dog years.