PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb networking question
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2017, 10:46
Senior Paper Monitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dumb networking question

At one end of the office network (wired) is a Virgin cable internet connection and router (which is our main permanent internet connection - and [touch wood] very stable).

We also have (at the other end geographically) a Talk Talk ADSL connection and router.

While doing some cable tidying (primarily involving our little PBX unit and a herd of cordless base stations which work off it - all of which now live in a cupboard) a thought came to me ....

In the event of a Virgin failure (stop giggling at the back) I could drop a network cable into the hub under the desk at that end of the office and we would have some level of internet access.

BUT - if I was to simply plug it in now (with a fully operational Virgin still connected) what happens:

1) Does everything become confused and/or simply blow up (two IP addresses / points of presence etc) ?

2) Does technology simply sort it out and carry on as if nothing has happened (perhaps using the best choice available - almost certainly Virgin) and effectively 'hot swap' if the other falls over

3) Do I have to do 'something technical' to achieve 2 above ?