PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2017, 18:53
asdf1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asdf1234
Reference the Sun article:

Parking next to the terminal and walking in just a couple of minutes: Tick!

Good security experience: I've posted here before that I've been stopped everytime I've gone through, either for carrying a BlackBerry or "we're choosing you at random Sir". So I can't tick that box. Others however most probably can. I'm a white, middle aged, middle class male travelling on business and therefore a prime target for suspicious security employees looking out for passenger safety.

Bourgees: please, did the hack eat there? No table service, only queueing at the bar to be met with insolent indifference by the pre-adolescent staff. McDonald's train their staff better. And then there is the small (or huge, depending on which way you look at it) matter of the pricing of the food and drinks.

45 minutes from Central London:It simply isn't. Get a train from SEN Airport to Stratford (not central London but doesn't matter) and you won't do it in 45 mins. Simply a tired hack rehashing false advertising by the airport.

I don't read The Sun but millions do. I understand the article was written for those "millions" but even so, what happened to journalistic integrity?
And just to show how inaccurate the Sun journo was with his 45 minutes to central London here is a quote from the train operator's website:

Greater Anglia is the rail provider within East Anglia and runs the train service between Southend Airport and Stratford or London Liverpool Street.

Why choose the train from Southend Airport?
Fast: Central London in 55 minutes, Stratford in 45 minutes

So let's read that again.

CENTRAL LONDON IN 55 MINUTES

That's a fact from the operator. I submit that they rarely do it in 55 mins but why does a Sun journalist chose to ignore the operator's own declaration on the travel time and reduce it to 45mins?

One might argue that the airport management and the Sun journo had shared a glass of wine or two - but not me.