PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Battle of Britain
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2017, 15:59
Danny42C

roving (#103),

Thanks for the link ! Internet Explorer wouldn't play, but got it on Google Chrome. Didn't find Ray Hanna flying under any bridges, but in lieu an interesting snippet on the earlier Spitfires cutting out under negative "G". Followed by a full hour about the girls of the ATA.

Never saw this footage before, although the BBC did do: "The Spitfire Girls" on TV years and years ago. Anyone who hasn't clicked onto your link already must do so - if only to see what your mothers (and grandmothers !) were capable of 77 years ago ! (I take my hat off to them).

As to Bridges, the two over the Menai Strait (Telford's lovely old suspension road bridge) and the old box railway bridge (burned out after my time) absolutely begged to be flown under with our Spits and Vampires. But the certainty of detection (and subsequent sacking) kept our youthful ardour in check.

I think the Meteors were restricted to 15 seconds inverted, weren't they ? As I recall, the practice was to count One, two, three, four, fifteen - and roll out ! (a double flame-out low down was no fun). Not that I know much about them with only a few hours (Vampire was much nicer - the "Jet Spitfire" IMHO).

Happy Days ! Danny.