PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots win retirement age appeal
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2017, 22:05
cxorcist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shep69
I'd conjecture at the end of the day it would depend on how much clout and credibility you'd have in the jurisdiction you wish to operate considering the overall situation. And on your track record there. And on how much the host nation wishes you to continue to operate there (this could involve politics as well--even to the extent of your continuing to be an employer within the jurisdiction and as such contributing to the overall economy and tax base).

One thing I think that is often overlooked is that a carrier (especially one foreign to the host nation) operates within that nation at the pleasure of it--and to its and the host nations' mutual advantage. And there IS competition for operational slots within many of those countries--often between competing carriers who are based in the same place.

So I believe it's best to be well behaved and do the right, safe, and ethical things. Lest that nation kick you out and banish you completely.
Those are nice, feel good sentiments, but we both know that's not how it works in big business and politics. If the US restricts or bans CX flying, HK would do the same to US carriers. We all know that can't happen. A few jobs here and there mean nothing compared to big business and the traveling public.

Don't over-emphasize your own worth. We are small potatoes relative to the big picture which is international trade. It would be easy to rationalize this using modern utilitarianism over your "fundamental rights" as an employee. The only real chance would be to get the story into the press and hope it goes viral, but that won't happen either because no one feels sorry for pilots making well over 6 figures.