PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crashes at Lumberton airport
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2017, 20:41
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crikey Nigelh, I've realy gotten under your skin haven't I
Sorry I haven't responded earlier, but I have a life to lead outside Pprune too you know.
In fact I'm spending less and less time on Pprune now having spent the last 17yrs since joining it repeating myself. So you can take succour in that perhaps.
I will say this once again but for the last time................
Many posts ago, there was another thread on engines off etc - someone asked how many EOL's I had done. I checked and rechecked my log books and can confirm I have done in excess of 2500 EOL's. From nose bleed height to downwind, to going backwards, to 100' and 120kts.
ALL of them were initiated with the throttle lever being retarded and locked in the off position, fuel to shut off, ignitions off. Engine(s) out. In fact I have the dubious honour of switching all the engines off in a Seaking -to a landing - before the RN decided that this was another silly practice we could all do without....and banned this.
I'm not sure where Crab did his EOL instructing but mine was in the FAA and the technique was an E.O. (as above) - with or without warnings.
[Not just to FI].
An auto on the other hand - is a descent to the hover/land/overshoot with the engine(s) running at FI until just prior to the final decision to hover / overshoot where the engine(s) is brought back online.
Flying along minding your own business and an engine(s) stopping without warning is a totally different ball game compared to entering an "auto" for obvious reasons.
The delay caused due to the jesus factor (in an EOL) will already have cost you an increase in RoD which will prove difficult to make up, as you sort out the entry. In an auto, friction in the drive train and the engine itself sitting at FI will all have a play in preventing you from drooping the Nr too low before a warning is sounded reminding you things aren't looking good. In an EO, there are no safety nets.
Friction, engine running and confidence knowing you have a safety net when you need it, all add up to a lower RoD in reality.
Whereas in an EO: no friction, no engine(s) lack of practice/manhandling and a rapid onset of RoD during the initial entry will exacerbate the RoD. If you are practiced/well rehearsed/lightning reflexes - you might be able to recover this RoD difference. In reality you simply have to manage it/live with it.
That's me done on this particular matter.
Don't respond Nigelh. I'm really tired of your wisecracks. Go find someone else to annoy. [I seem to recall asking you to stop stalking me a few times now - enough is enough]. Chill out FFS.

Any chance this thread could return to the subject matter?

Last edited by Thomas coupling; 17th Sep 2017 at 20:59.