PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF NCA or remain a civi ?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 15:37
Spot 4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spouse & Children

Whilst there may be an exception to the norm, I have been in several sqns over lots of years and the care of families has always been apalling. RAF PMC do not give an iota of consideration to family stability, they cant, because they simply do not have the luxury of over-manning. Flowers as a token gesture to a family arrival or hospital visit are about as close as you are going to get.

I think that in fairness, you wouldnt even get that if you were employed in civilian life. Just dont over rate the family atmosphere of the military. It gauls me to say that Army Regts tend to be a lot better at this then the RAF.

Family life is ok whilst you are prepared to live in a married quarter and move many times in a short period (5 times in 18 months was my record), once settled into your own home the problems start. Then again you can bank on certain postings enabling you to be a resident at a unit for a long time, such as a Nimrod mate @ Ice Station Kilo, Chinook chap @ Odiham, or Merlin fr^&8 @ Benson!