PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit evacuation query
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2017, 11:18
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That was not the case on one flight I took recently. Those doors were behind me.
Not that uncommon, on the upper deck of the 744 the door/slides are well aft of the front row..so I can perhaps see what you are thinking, but as mentioned earlier....the primary route for flight crew is usually a main deck door, having tried to help check the aircraft is clear. Evac checklists don't usually mention opening flight deck windows or hatches as a matter of routine, so don't expect to somehow get past the flight crew and into the flight deck and expect find those escape routes open and available..

As Metro man rightly said "The emergency briefing doesn't include flight deck specific information so you may not know where the exit is or how to open it"...say you somehow got onto the flight deck....Do you know how to open the hatch and survive using the escape system on a 747?...Do you know which windows open on a 777 and how to actually operate them? Could you find the escape rope stowage quickly? ...I guess the likes of the A320 is different again, no doubt the 380 is different yet again?..Darned if I know the answer to the the last of those and as a passenger I certainly wouldn't head for the flight deck as option 1 for escape on an unfamiliar type, there is a risk of getting trapped.

It's great that you are thinking ahead, and maybe in the event of ultra "force majeure"...e.g. holes in aircraft, no way out behind you due flames/structure, etc, flight deck door off it's hinges then maybe the flight deck route might be the only way out, but otherwise don't try to freelance it or go off piste.....stick with the routes/slides as briefed...

Last edited by wiggy; 17th Sep 2017 at 13:17.