PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Link Trainee First Officer Level 1&2
Old 16th Sep 2017, 09:28
thelunchbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
I'm going to try and add a bit of balance to this argument. There is plenty of coin to be made and Qlink and it is by far the most enjoyable job I have ever worked in. The travel benefits are great too.

I am a year 2 FO in the least busy base, on the 65% base wage. I'm working on average 20-25 hours duty a week barely ever doing a call-in, my group certificate read a bit over 90K last financial year. My counterparts from ground school earned similar. Some who wanted to work more got into 6 figures. (not me, I'm lazy)

Those who join on the 55% wage can effectively expect 10 grand less than my wage for the first three years. This means you'll still earn 80-90k PA, living in a major city working in a much safer environment than any GA company. Commands will be quicker than they have been in the past. I'd estimate I'm about 6 months off a command. 2.5 years ain't bad!

Not saying this will happen forever but guys in the T&C department and even some line Captains who are on the classic fleet, helping out over the ditch are earning circa 250k PA. 1 SYD (line)captain got very close to 300k last financial year (he might have even hit it).

So for those reading the wage bashing, it's simply not true and there is plenty of coin to be made in this job. It is a far superior job than any GA company I worked for (and I worked for 4). If anyone's got more questions feel free to PM me.
Hey Frank, no wage bashing intended. It just seems as if it's a sign of the times.
When you've got ga and regional (using that term very loosely) operators offering well over 100k base to fly a death pencil it makes you wonder. There are so many other options now.

If you're looking to stay with the props then qlink is hard to beat. Otherwise why wouldn't you go to Rex, airnorth, skippers etc get a command in 12 months from starting then go to jetstar.

There's no doubt that the money has improved but with the movement going around it can't stay stagnant.

Remember these guys aren't doing roadshows because theyd like to do everyone in GA a massive favour and save you the commute, but because crew are going elsewhere or waiting for something better.
There was a time when they'd charge you a couple hundred $$$ just to sit the psych testing. It's nice to see the tables favouring the pilots for once.

Last edited by thelunchbox; 16th Sep 2017 at 18:52.