PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ultralight aircraft 2 strokes to be banned
Old 14th Sep 2017, 11:02
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
---which will take (I understand) some 12 years to repay the energy to mine and produce the materials, make, transport and erect these monsters (and guess where that energy comes from), then maybe another 8 years producing power (when the wind blows at the right speed), with ongoing servicing and the killing of birds and bats, then at the end of life, rinse and repeat. So inefficient they have to be subsidised by the long-suffering tax payer.
Capt Dart with all due respect you need to get your head out of the cockpit a bit more often and do a bit more reading. (Reading or listening to coal spokesman Andrew Bolt does not equate to the acquisition of knowledge)

Closing Liddell power station is supposed to leave the grid 1,000 M/Vs short.
Last year Mr Adani put up a 648 M/V solar power station in southern India in 8 months for about $888 million AUD. That would make a 1,000 M/V about $1.5 billion AUD (The panels were all made in China)
If they build a new 70% dirty coal fired station of similar size it would cost over $2 billion and about $100 million per year to feed it coal for the rest of it's life- assuming they can obtain quality coal for $40 per ton. If it had a 40 year life that's $4 billion. You could buy a lot of pumped hydro storage or even better ammonia storage for that money. Solar is looking good both environmentally and cost wise. As a bonus I've never heard of a human or a bat or a bird getting black lung from solar panels.