PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Leonardo, Airbus to bid for UK 'Top Gun' training deal
Old 14th Sep 2017, 00:08
cynicalint

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Leonardo, Airbus to bid for UK 'Top Gun' training deal

Apropos of other threads showing defence cuts or filling the ranks, here appears another article, repeated in Janes and the Telegraph, highlighting in my opinion, over-contracterisation. I feel, that though this would be a costly project, it would certainly be one of those capabilities best kept in house. I can understand the cost perspective of abdicating command to contractors, but the skills gained, taught and understood by RAF personnel would more than outweigh the funds saved by contracterisation. On top of the flying side, there would be plenty of support jobs involved, including intelligence, engineering, armaments, EWO and many other trade inputs. Additionally, there would lots of prestige of being posted to such a squadron, attracting the best aircrew and support staff providing an overall major advantage to the RAF to control fully such a capability. Contracting out would greatly reduce our capability of developing tactics while increasing possibilities of foreign agencies getting access to our thoughts and activities. Looking forward to others’ views.

Leonardo, Airbus to bid for UK 'Top Gun' training deal - sources | Reuters