PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 13th Sep 2017, 15:06
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
And we go in circles ... again. No reason to spare you my five cents.
A few things you might consider.

We have to parties here, one party consisting of mostly very or less experienced Robinson pilots who claim the darn thing works. And I think we can trust Paul Cantrells judgement when he says he thinks it works quite well.

In the other corner some very known figures in our business with a lot of experience and knowledge. Many of those would not touch a Robby with a pole.
I also think we can trust Vertical Freedom that he also knows what he is saying, and crab, and TC and so on.

Might it be possible, that the Vuichard Technique is more effective in a Robinson? Or in two bladed rotor systems?

Next question. What the h*** is the point?
I personally find it rather appalling that Vuichard is calling it his technique, when we know he was not the first. Apart from that fact, it is just very, very bad style (let's just say not everybody in Switzerland sees the greates helicopter pilot of all times in him). But aerodynamically why not let the thing work in certain circumstances? Who cares? It is not going to help a lot of people because it solves a problem that isn't really there. Only Vuichard claims hundreds of accidents happen because of VRS. Nobody else. Probably he almost died once a week because he did not realise what was going on when the controls get sluggish and the ride more uncomfortable. He probably always thought what a hero he is making through these terrible turbulences when in reality he did not recognise VRS ... again. Until the day he pushed the pedal and voilą, he was saved from the daily terror.
And with all those videos that are a lot of show and few substance, he just makes an a** of himself.

I find it rather strange when the chief instructor of Robinson demonstrates IVRS happily from 1'000 ft. But thinking about it, he lost 400 ft. Well, nice demo, but what students should learn is to loose no feet whatsoever. It would be a rare event if you have 400 feet below you while hovering and descending. That is not a place we like to be, and if we have to, we try to do that very gently. It just isn't something that is common place (You may demo VRS till the cows come home, but that isn't the point when learning about how to avoid it).
Therefore who cares what technique you are using to get out of it, when the height lost to get into it is far more important. Because it takes quite a while to get even a Robinson to shake like a bull in a rodeo.
What a student must learn is to recognise the danger early and then just a gentle forward pressure on the stick will already have saved the day. There is not point of neither dropping the collective to the floor and shoving the stick to the forward stop nor pushing the pedal one direction (powerpedal apparently) and the stick in the other - something that does not come naturally to us rotorheads and even Robinson does not like you to do it in a mariner with the floats on, because the thing can flip, given enough sideward speed.
Therefore guys, let it rest. Vuichard and his disciples will not stop. As he said, he is pursuing a place in the Smithsonian alongside Lindberg. People like that are hard to argue with.

Last edited by Rotorbee; 14th Sep 2017 at 06:18. Reason: Said that allready ...