PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Berlin filing for bankruptcy?
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2017, 08:57
virginblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Apparently some have also have been told the conditions of the LH "rescue". Pilots not going to have LH contracts but Eurowings ones = 40% less for an AB Captain + Uncertainty about the A330s .
I understand from the media here that it is almost only Captains calling in sick. Same today apparently.
VC Cockpit not behind it.
I think there is a misconception about the "Lufthansa" rescue. "Lufthansa" as the group of companies wants to come to the rescue, not "Lufthansa" as the airline. Lufthansa is a global company brand that includes something like a dozen separate airlines, only one of which is Lufthansa the airline (plus dozens of other non-airline companies). So it is a bit fanciful to assume by airberlin employees that they will be employed subject to the contract conditions of the Lufthansa group airline that pays the highest salaries. No sane investor in a bancrupt company would do that.

I have not had to deal with an employer going bankrupt (yet...), but I can hardly imagine how much stress this puts on all of the staff. How will they pay their bills and mortgages, what will happen in a month, three months, six months, etc.
They are getting paid for three months from an insolvency fund and so should be fine. Just like almost anyone else, pilots are not career civil servants with guaranteed lifelong employment, so redundancy is a risk they share with all employees who have to pay bills, mortgages.

I understand from the media here that it is almost only Captains calling in sick. Same today apparently
Calling in sick is reportedly a small group of captains on very generous former LTU contracts. They are not taking the "we enjoyed it while it lasted" (i.e. for decade since LTU disappeared) approach, but expect to keep the conditions with a future employer. With is quite understandable from their perspective - but realistically, they are not the ones calling the shots. What they apparently fear is that because of their fat cat salaries airberlin and the potential investor want to get rid of them by way of closing down longhaul ops which would give airberlin the opportunity to make them lawfully redundant before the company is taken over by someone else. Bit like brushing up the high maintenance bride...