PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in flight
Old 12th Sep 2017, 22:15
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
I realize the Classic design was already in production (1984) before the Lauda Air accident (1991). I just wondered if there were 737 retrofits of extra interlocks added post-Lauda, or if the 737NG already had those, or if the thrust dynamics are just different even with the more "767-like" engine position in newer 737s.
My understanding was that in the aftermath of Lauda, ALL the then in production Boeing aircraft added the third lock (aka "Sync Lock" since they locked the synchronizing shaft that ties the actuators together to make sure they move at the same rate and don't jam the sleeve) - either in production or by AD mandated retrofit. That included the "classic" 737-3/4/500 although I don't think it was extended to the "Jurassic" 737-1/200.
A big part of what Boeing learned in the aftermath of Lauda was how dramatically the move to ever high bypass engines - hung out in front of the wing - changed the dynamics of a T/R deployment in flight.

airbus and boeing seem to have taken care of it with electronic wizardry
Paradox, what electronic wizardry are you talking about? At least on Boeing every new aircraft has a third physical lock - enabled only on the ground - that will prevent even a powered T/R deployment. On the newer Boeings, in part because the sync lock has some undesirable failure characteristics (it's difficult to tell if it's failed without actually testing it) they went to a track lock - a physical block in the T/R slider track that will prevent reverser deployment, the health of which is easily monitored with prox sensors. If you're really unlucky enough to have an uncommanded T/R deployment in-flight on a Boeing equipped with the third lock, I'd suggest you never go outside because if you do you're going to hit by lightning....twice....on the same day