PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the key points to maintaining airline profitability & worker happiness?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 18:52
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The safe, profitable and happy airline. There were a few in their fledgling days but none remain on my current list that tick all the three boxes.
Whilst safety is the most important it is also the easiest of the three conditions that can practically be dealt with.
Profit/gain is the sole motive for business. A commercial air carrier`s objects are not charitable, their`s are to make a profit and make a return to their investors. How are then happy with their returns.
Happiness for the fare paying passengers is largely governed by the lowest fare and a limitless supply of free booze and upgrades to the best seats in the cabin.
Happiness to the managers and the work force is ever increasing bonuses and wages, limitless holidays and ever shorter working hours.
Given the considerable difficulties involved in such a balancing, juggling, tight-rope act, our scientific world has produced experts in the field of happiness. Such is the eminent Professor Richard Layard a Labour Peer and professor at LSE. Who after the publication of his book, Happiness: a New Science, earned the nick name the UK government`s " happiness tsar". At the age of 80+ he lives in a house covered in roses where a picture of the Dalai Lama, the patron of the Happiness Movement, hangs on the wall of his sitting room, so says the FT in their 2014 article.
Here is the link to the FT article:
https://www.ft.com/content/b1d0b140-...1-00144feabdc0

As far as I am concerned the learned prof`s theories on happiness are far beyond me. I prefer Ken Dodd`s version, his song "Happiness".

Roses, well they sort of wilt after a while don`t they.