PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uncommanded thrust reverser deployment in flight
Old 12th Sep 2017, 16:12
paradoxbox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so, TR deployment @ near max cruise seems to be an extremely dangerous situation with seconds separating recovery from breaking the sound barrier and your plane.

airbus and boeing seem to have taken care of it with electronic wizardry - not that i trust it farther than i can throw it. 10E9 probability with my luck it'll happen to me a dozen times on the same flight. At cruise if you experience sudden extreme roll is it a safe bet to slam the throttles to idle? Levitating PAX be damned if it means you won't die.

I would like to know if anyone has done any test flights to determine the roll rate at various airspeeds during thrust reverser deployment at different power settings.

Back when dinosaurs lived, I did aerobatics and was a huge fan of 0 or negative G (or low AoA) to get myself out of all kinds of bad situations. Of course jets are very different from props but I cannot help but think that there must be a way to buy time in this situation. With the aerobatic planes I flew, unloading the aircraft generally resulted in superhuman maneuverability, no doubt the propwash playing a part but I would imagine that even in larger jets, you might be able to get some roll rate back either through rudder or aileron if you unload. Depending on the g load necessary to restore roll the amount of time you could gain could be significant especially if you have a monitoring pilot to help. Keep in mind I am thinking primarily about lower airspeeds here, as it seems that at cruise speed your only choice is to cut the throttle immediately or end up inverted and passing mach 1.

I'm not entirely convinced that a TR indicator is going to show up on the engine screen and neither am I convinced that I am going to be able to hear or identify that it's a TR if I am in a large jet with the cockpit a mile away from the engines.