PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 8.33khz options
Thread: 8.33khz options
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 10:12
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MetOffice
Just got our group PA28 back from its annual with a new Icom A220 fitted in place of our King box. Very modern, large clear display and good sound quality. Went for a first flight with it and quite impressed. When I landed I thought I'd try switching it into 8.33 mode - so into the setup menu select 8.33khz but now it's in set 8.33 I can't seem to get any 25khz frequencies to come up on the display, they just don't exist! Put in Cumbernauld 120.605 fine but then tried Scottish 119.875 & it wasn't there. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Metoffice. I bought my Icom A220 last November and eventually got it installed and operational in April. Subsequently there was a recall for a software update, something to do with squelch I think. It was sent back and returned in about 3 days. But it picks up interference whenever my Airmaster prop motor changes pitch and no amount of adjustment can overcome this. So I cruise with the prop set in manual control.

As regards the 8.33 vs 25 KHz mode issue, yes I soon discovered that when in 8.33 KHz mode the nearest "match" to a 25 KHz frequency doesn't work for reasons beyond my limited mental abilities, so I simply have to return to 25 KHz spacing mode. Not too difficult; just a couple of button pushes.