PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER 1
Thread: MANCHESTER 1
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 09:56
pholling

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFMAN
That's all very well and good saying that 'numbers' are good but what about us poor punters that are the 'numbers'?
I have to fly almost every week for work and these 'numbers' have made the MAN experience practically unbearable this Summer.
T3 in particular has been (IMO) close to being dangerously over-crowded.
T1 and T3 are both terrible - I'm embarrassed about them as a Mancunian. The only good terminal has been T2 and that's about to change and join the 'terrible club' whilst they demolish and rebuild.
It's T3 that needs to be demolished and re-built.

So the question to those MAN boosters out there is simple 'What plans are in place to alleviate the congestion in both T1 and T3 before next Spring?'
My guess would be 'nothing'......but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
The only thing that is changing in the short-term at T2 is the use of more remote stands, which is already in place. This means bussing. I agree that the T3 experience has gone downhill drastically in the last few years, especially on the departure side. The use of the terminal has both increased and changed in nature. Domestic arrivals are generally not much different than before. Of course if you are the airport these punters that hang around in the terminal make you a lot more money than each business traveller that clears security and proceeds directly to the gate.

Outside of artificially reducing the number of flights/passengers what do you propose be done before next summer? The real problem is that the current infrastructure cannot be readily reorganised to improve the situation. This is a result from the decision not to invest during the last downturn. However, this is pretty standard in much of the industry where there isn't either a guaranteed revenue stream or guaranteed debt.