PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2017, 09:55
BusAirDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G SXTY
BusAirDriver

Wrong. Completely wrong.

I'd recommend a bit more research then. Flybe gave me my first job, and I distinctly remember doing modular training. As did many of my colleagues.

Integrated might be the only low-hours route into BA, but as an experienced direct entry pilot, they couldn't care less how and where you trained. I know because I work for them now. Integrated training may give you an advantage with some airlines, some of the time. It ain't a golden ticket, however. In my direct experience, breaking into this industry is far more dependent on contacts and timing than where or how you trained - or how old you are.
I know of plenty Modular trained guys, who mostly have gone abroad for their first job, come back after 1 - 2- 3 years experience, and gone into very good UK jobs.
I am not disputing that you can't get a UK job as low hour modular, but you will be in the back of a very long queue after the ones who have paid their "golden ticket" £120.000 to CTC / Oxford, the MPL's, the integrated, currently as far as I know BA, easyJet, FlyBe, Monarch, Virgin to mention a few, have all had some cadet scheme agreement the last few years with the big FTO's.

Some FTO's, have become quite powerful with job placement now, and even run their own schemes for modular pilots who want to apply for the major airlines.
Than add the thousands of pilots working abroad, who are looking to get back home to the UK, and you understand it's not easy going the modular route anymore.
If you are older it's even more risky, I recall around 6-7 years ago one week I was to do the CTC ATPQ or something like that screening, which was to put you in a hold pool, and pay £10.000 for a MCC/JOC course, same week I got offered a job with an airline abroad, so of I went to that job. I was not prepared to sit and wait for 1-2 years in a hold pool, and have to pay £10.000 for the course and an additional £35.000 for TR, but I recall some people was very "HAPPY" when they passed this selection.

If you are mid 40's, time counts, time is money, those years commuting was very hard, and knowing what I know now, I am pretty sure many who thing of doing this today at a late age should show caution. It had great financial and family consequences for me, and still today where I am in a good job, I can't confirm if the investment and sacrifices was worth it.
Sure love the job, but life is not just about working.