PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 09:46
[email protected]

Received 633 Likes on 275 Posts
Hi aytoo, the SWP was used to describe two different conditions IIRC, both VRS and overpitching due to lack of power margin for OGE hovering.

I think the confusion arose since both conditions, when experienced relatively close to the ground, result in a broken aircraft and often the crew from a very heavy landing.

SWP can lead to VRS since you don't have enough power to hover and a slow or zero IAS descent with high power applied - often with Nr decay due to power limiting - is the result - a perfect recipe for VRS.

What I would like to know is if these Vuichard demonstrations ever show a direct comparison, in the same conditions, of the traditional recovery vs the 'technique'. That would be a good starting point for a claim of superiority.

Like so many things these days, it is easy to make a bold claim, supported by 'scientific proof', which turns out to be wrong because the 'proof' has been fudged to support the claim.

As most of us agree, the answer is prevention - we are bickering about the 'cure' which may not be suitable for all cases of low speed descents.

I won't hold my breath waiting for unimpeachable proof