PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 08:24
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
I have a suspicion that the demonstrations don't give a real world perspective - in the classic VRS scenario, you are already pulling a lot of power because you are either approaching or trying to establish an OGE hover.

The demonstrations seem to involve lowering the lever to initiate the descent, leaving you a fair surplus of power to recover.

Nick Lappos has always said that with a powerful enough helo, you can muscle your way out of VRS because you are able to overcome the massive increase in rotor drag.

So the difference between going from a low/medium power setting to max power (as prescribed by Vuichard) is going to be greater than going from almost max power to max power - this might help explain why these artificial setups seem to work well.

When we see a video of full blown VRS - with a high power setting to fully aggravate the situation - being recovered in tens of feet, then I might start to believe but not until then.

For those who have done the Robinson course, do they only show this in the R66 or do they do it in R22/44 as well? I only ask this because of the extra power available in the 66 over the 22/44.