PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 12th Sep 2017, 04:43
Washeduprotorgypsy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Classic semantic, pedantic internet vortex ring

Robinson could be supporting the technique because they are making the tacit assumption that most of their pilots have a uncanny knack for making downwind approaches. In which case, the sidestick makes sense.

Upon further review of that well done and beautiful video It is interesting to note that in the first "main showpiece" clip explaining the "visualization of the airflow" at 50% slow mo. It seems to be that the RoD is high enough that the recovery takes place in the turbulent wake state , punching right through the vortex ringstate, he falls right through the donut centered on the tip path. The lama is getting clean air and able to reverse the flow with pure grunt, escaping a redeveloped vortex with lateral cyclic. It would be interesting to see the scene reshot slowing the initiated descent so that the pitch pull could tease the strength of the building vortex ring , just right, without falling through it. .....like we are ever going to see that clip. The rest of the clips show IVRS nicely.

Maybe it's just me , but with the charts depicting modern day disc loadings as making 500 - 1000 fpm vertical descents acceptable. I' m not sure they really factor in the rate of vertical deceleration and power application or the recovery profile, so as not to stir a dragon. At the extremes we have the V22 which according to its induced velocities should be immune to vortex ring in moderately aggressive conventional helicopter flight. Somehow I don't think they baby it around on short final because it's 'spensive.

Last edited by Washeduprotorgypsy; 12th Sep 2017 at 13:11. Reason: ...long day, hot sun