PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 11th Sep 2017, 21:31
FlimsyFan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is indeed quite mind boggling to the lowly 250hr private pilot. As alluded to, Robinson are now promoting the Vuichard as their recommended recovery.

During the Robinson Safety course, having gone through the theory we went and flew the recovery with Tim Tucker from RHC in an R66.

With 4 POB, I have video recorded from the back seat showing ROD at 1900 ft per min, and the thing was shaking and rolling all over the place. The recovery certainly seemed massively swifter than the 'traditional' technique as demonstrated, but I'm very reluctant to dismiss the views of the highly experienced guys here.

It seems to me with the numbers we saw, this must have been way past incipient; however as a low time pilot, my conclusion is to work very hard to avoid the basic ingredients for VRS in the first place - after all, it's fine saying that you can recover in 100ft from fully developed VRS when you start at 3500 ft, something else entirely when you f**k up a downwind approach into a confined area and the job goes tits up at 150 ft.

As someone else commented, I will probably stay with the Vuichard, just because rapid forward cyclic + R66 has been known to lead to much worse than VRS...

Very interesting discussion tho.