PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 11th Sep 2017, 15:31
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, it does not stop and it never will. For the Swiss and Robinson he is a hero.
I find it rather funny to call that thing in the video a VRS. As we have seen in his other videos in front of the Eiger, Mr Vuichard isn't to open with a view on the instruments. Not even in free fall he would have reached the RoD he claims in that time. The same with this Lama. Nice pictures, but never a VRS, one needs a few more feet to get into VRS.
I don't want to be in a helicopter that had a stop of a RoD from in excess of 3000 ft/min to zero in 20 feet. That is better than any quickstop I ever did.
It is strange, that Vuichard is so fixated on this problem. I can recall just one accident in Switzerland where VRS was the cause. In that case (the one with the REGA Agusta) the pilot did not realise what happened until he reached more than 900 ft/min RoD and > 20 kts and the IVRS started. Pulling power aggravated the situation, therefore he was quite close to a pretty good VRS.
I wonder if Vuichard bent a few ships in his lifetime with VRS. Otherwise I can not explain, why he is making up terrifying numbers of accidents that just are not true.
What is this man trying to do?

One thing in the Agusta accident final report I find interesting. They wrote, that some light helicopter manufacturers are evaluating a alternative method = Vuichard + Robinson.
The optimal recovery technique is set by the manufacturer. No Vuichard for Agusta, ups, sorry, Leonardo.
The recommendations do not include the Vuichard technique but a warning of some audible form from dangerous combinations of airspeed and RoD. Something I think is a very good idea and would probably completely eliminate VRS accidents. Much better idea than listening to a self-proclaimed prophet on a crusade against imaginary windmills. But why haven't they done that. With modern electronics this would not be a problem. Probably because it isn't the number one killer of helicopters. More number 347.