PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2017, 12:40
MaverickPrime

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flybe, BACF, Stobart Air, Eastern, DHL, Thomas Cook, Monarch, Easyjet(only via CTC/L3 admittedly), Ryanair, Aer Lingus, Cityjet, Air Tanker, Jet2; have I forgotten any; have and still do - recruit modular cadets. Titan has just closed a scheme very recently that was exclusively for modular trained pilots.

IMVHO, , I think airlines are catching on to the fact that starry eyed, 20 year old, middle class kids from the sausage factories; do not always make the best first officer and sometimes turn into jaded captains that spend their spare time moaning on pprune about their lot in life. I also spoke to a TOM skipper lately, whilst I was on a course, who expressed the opinion that airlines realise that budding managers don't make great pilots and are adjusting their recruitment strategies as a result - a swipe at these mentored cadet schemes.

A major question that bears asking is that Ryanair (who are the largest recruiter of cadets in europe) have kept their recruitment, selection and Type Rating in house (yes CAE does the TR). They have not outsourced it to CTC or any of the others. Since, and therefore, the management culture in Ryanair detests cronyism, I can't help but wonder that they thought the whole relationship between airlines and certain ATOs stinks of the boys club and back scratching. However this is another conversation and I digress no further, but maybe it gives some context.

As a former modular pilot, you know it has been difficult in the past for modular guys to get into employment, times are changing thankfully. I don't think its helpful to do the biding of the 'big 3' and continue to spread their spin that integrated is the only way forward.

Putting on my rose tinted glasses now. With a bit of luck, the grip and greed of the big schools might just be broken in the next decade if the new initiatives popping up to help modular pilots succeed.

Anyway, I think integrated vs modular has been done so much that it is almost turning into a religious debate.

Nurse2Pilot - keep up the research, the only thing I can stress is to not rush anything! Go forward with your eyes wide open, there is no such thing as the ideal time train. You face a lot more risks in pursuing a career as a pilot other than just not being able to find a job. The thread you shared about training in the Philippines is any eye opener, but not surprising.

Last edited by MaverickPrime; 11th Sep 2017 at 19:57.