PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DARPA Flying Missile Rail
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2017, 10:39
unmanned_droid

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm fully in agreement with Musk on the patent point. Besides getting anything patented (whether it be a piece of specific tooling or a whole aircraft configuration) is an expensive pain in the arse just to support an industry that doesn't need to exist. I imagine we all know our work when we see it.

I disagree on the point that this is trying to copy the SpaceX model.

I see this as having the capability without having the assembled hardware until right before you need the hardware. From what I see, It's about having a couple of containers worth of kit in a storage facility that could be rapidly deployed and set up to build the harware when needed, and it's about having access to materials that can be sought in quantity with no time delay. There is also a certain amount of pre-bought hardware - electronics and engines for example that need to be carted around with the build kit.

A rate of 500 units a month for essentially a target drone from zero isn't to be sniffed at. It would take compromises that I am not sure those without knowledge of RC aircraft production and having the thought process to consider that quality on a long term aerospace product isn't what is needed, would consider to be acceptable.