PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach to worng airport
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 00:44
planecrazi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congo/Rwanda

I had just landed in Bukavu, Lake Kivu, DRC ( Congo) about 8 years back when a B737 from Air Zaire had also just landed and was taking up the frequency looking for the second B737 from the same company. As it turns out they were both on the ground except they couldn't see one another, and I could only see one. This was because the other landed a few miles a way at Kamembe in Rwanda by mistake. He landed on a short, high runway in the wrong country in the height of the Kabila war. Not to mention, different runway heading, layout, elevation and of course runway length.
That B737 sat for years on the runway and I believe it was full of fish and arms for the troops.
I don't remember what ever happened to the crew and I do believe the aircraft was returned to Congo, via Goma just 40nm north, for fuel, after recent years. I heard the aircraft was stripped, minimul fuel for 40 miles and it just got airborne.

I'm sure the SAFAIR Herc pilots are aware of this story and could put facts to the story as they were operating from Kamembe during the same time. Somewhere 1995-1996.