PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lakenheath working too hard?
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2003, 00:24
whowhenwhy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim some questions for you. If you were flying IFR in solid IMC why would you want a FIS from LKH? All they would do is give you their QNH and ask you to report going en-route. No traffic info would have been past. Why would you have got a RIS from Marham, if you only wanted a FIS from LKH? If you wanted a FIS from Marham that's what you'd have got. They'd have supplied you with details on STANTA and as I said earlier could have handed you to LKH, especially if you'd said that you were IMC. Besides, yes if you were in receipt of a RIS or RAS in that area then you would expect to receive a lot of traffic calls. However, you as captain are responsible for your own separation, even under RAS, and all avoiding action turns provided are advisory. You don't have to take them, you just have to tell air traffic if you're not taking the turn. For me as an ATCO though one thing worries me. The idea of you flying under a FIS (if you'd got one), in solid IMC, over LKH/MLDs radar pattern with lots of whizzy things going past without you knowing about it. Sorry, just sounds a tad dangereux to moi!