PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair - 9
Thread: Ryanair - 9
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2017, 07:43
DaveReidUK

Received 201 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by M-JCS
I still can't help but think that there is something deceptive in the EasyJet / Ryanair policy regarding carry-on bags. It all started out years ago with strict bag size measurement at the gate, oversize bags being tagged for the hold, and a hold baggage charge imposed. Now oversize/excess bags are being put into the hold free of charge, either at the gate or after boarding, much to the chagrin of those passengers who properly checked their bags, paying the hold baggage fee. I can understand very well if those passengers feel as though they have been abused by the carrier.
In all likelihood that's the gate staff (who are probably not Ryanair employees) taking the line of least resistance.

If they let oversize carry-ons on board, they will get grief from the cabin crew when it's found that they won't fit in the overheads. If they try to extract the £50/€50 at the gate, they will risk a boarding delay.

Far quicker just to tag the bag for the hold and pretend the passenger has volunteered to give it up, with probably no repercussions.

I suspect that some passengers who fly RYR regularly have sussed this and take advantage of it. Even being caught out occasionally, you're probably still quids in overall.