PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Farts
Thread: Old Farts
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2017, 00:32
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Baylover, do not even think about flying 'for board and lodging' unless it is to do humanitarian work in Africa or somewhere no one else will go.

The key to successful old-fartdom for pilots is to develop other interests earlier in life. We have to keep our minds engaged as the years advance and I am not so sure that performing repetitive tasks in an aeroplane is all that challenging for those of us with tens of thousands of hours. FWIW, after 25,000 hours of mostly short-haul in multiple types in many challenging environments I could almost do it in my sleep (and probably did on occasion). It was only management and training tasks that engaged me - line flying became rather mundane, even more so as modern navigation systems and aircraft handling qualities became less demanding of the old skills.

Semi-retirement has never been so good. Time for other interests. Time to keep much more fit than in the days of being sleep-deprived (be careful what you wish for; that next flying job could involve non-union-negotiated, horrendous conditions!). Ferry flying is not for the average, slightly intolerant, old fart either (ask me how I know).

Far better, as has been suggested, would be to pass on all your hard-earned knowledge by becoming a simulator instructor. Assuming you have a check & training background, being a FSI will guarantee that you will be in demand to the day you either become senile or croak. If you never did bother with check & training flying you could be S.O.L. for simulator work but there is always classroom instruction.

Give flying away - avoid ultra lights. Re-read 'Fate is the Hunter' for the message it conveys. At 32500 hours quit while you are ahead.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 10th Sep 2017 at 00:04.