PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DERRY/LONDONDERRY
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2017, 17:44
A320.b744

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by conorc123
I'd agree three is too many airports, so the closing of BHD and leaving BFS to service the East and CODA the West sounds perfectly reasonable to me ? The fact you've stated that CODA is staying open to keep a few locals shows your total and complete ignorance of the both the people and population of the NW of Ireland.
Passenger numbers clearly indicate that Derry Airport is being kept open for a few whinging locals. The fact that the airport cannot even sustain links to London without the need for a PSO shows that the airport isn't sustainable.

Originally Posted by conorc123
Regarding Carrickfinn airport I have a property directly under the flight path and 5 minutes from the airport and I'm not to sure if your familiar with the area but the roads to the airport are hideous to say the least and the airport can therefore not service a large section of the Donegal population with Derry being the closest option.

Greencastle - Carrickfinn 2 hr 1 min
Greencastle - CODA 42mins
Greencastle - BFS 1hr45, which is the same time it takes for most people in Co Tyrone and Co Fermanagh to get to the Belfast airports, and I don't see them begging for an airport of their own. As I've said before, the airport situation in Donegal is the jurisdiction of the Irish government. Northern Ireland taxpayers shouldn't be funding Donegal's air transport links.