PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Carrier (Including Costs)
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2017, 16:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caz,

Thanks for replying. I thought I should respond.

My point was that carriers have been very useful in the past, and will provide capability to get access to a large part of the planet. Whether those 'parts of the planet' are going to be an area we want to get involved in is one for the future (indeterminate but often unexpected) and the politicians. My view is that the carriers will be useful. Yours isn't. That's fine.

You pose a number of reasons why we wouldn't use a carrier, or where you think they haven't helped. I could (but won't) list areas where I think we wouldn't use air power, or where we have used air power to doubtful eventual effect. I don't think that would be especially useful.

Finally, if you believe that long range airlift from the UK can provide the tonnage that a large ship can move, I honestly cannot help you. Airlift is a hugely important tool in disaster relief operations for getting 'first response' stuff to where it's needed, and the RAF are doing their customary excellent job right now. As is RFA Mounts Bay that was positioned out in the Caribbean for the hurricane season. In this case, they were first on the scene at Anguilla, moving kit ashore via helicopter and Mexeflotes. In any logistics operation, the big tonnages go by sea, and take longer. It's physics, not a competition.

Best regards as ever to all those of all three services actually doing the hard yards to help people in need,

Engines