PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EBCI: A320 wingtip clearance TWY "M5" & "H"- collision risk?
Old 8th Sep 2017, 09:13
UFO-flying-Airbus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBCI: A320 wingtip clearance TWY "M5" & "H"- collision risk?

Hello all,

I recently flew with a senior captain colleage of mine to EBCI Charleroi in an A320 (Sharklet version).

After Landing RWY25 we were told to taxi "N, M5 then right onto H". Please see image, attached.

I was PF.

As we were turning right from M5 onto H my friend expressed very strong concern that we were uncomfortably close to the vertical lighting poles that are positioned at that intersection/ TWY H.

I was following the yellow line with the nosewheel. He explained that if I did that then the inner main gear would track 'inside' (closer) to the obstacles. Which I understand. But does a risk of collision exist?

Does the turn assume that pilots will apply an appreciable amount of 'oversteer' (track the nosewheel outboard of the centreline when going around the corner)?
I didn't do that, I just kept the nosewheel on the yellow line. But I definitely didn't go 'inside' the turn with the nosewheel.

Could anyone please provide an airport/apron diagram of this area which shows the dimensions between the TWY Centreline and those lighting poles? (Google Earth gives only a very approximate idea of the distances).

The A320 Sharklet has, if I have understood correctly, a 35.80M winspan versus the standard 34.10M of the 'standard' model which may or may not be of significance.

Many thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EBCI taxiway M5.jpg (252.8 KB, 21 views)