PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Problem with London Information
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2017, 07:28
Andrewgr2

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Radio Problem with London Information

Has anyone else had problems communicating with London Information on 124.6000 when out over the North Sea? On a group trip to Ostend on Wednesday at least 3 aircraft lost contact with London Information when more than about 15 miles off the Kent coast. In each case we were able to hear them clearly but they were unable to hear our replies when they called us or we called them. In my case I made a blind call to London and then made contact with Ostend when crossing the FIR boundary. Ostend said they would let London know we were in touch with them. On the return trip, when I tried to contact London at the FIR boundary, I could get no reply although I could again hear them clearly. I called Southend and made two way contact although they said they could give me no service until I reached the coast. Bit worrying when 25-30 miles from the coast (at 4000-5000 feet) and you can't talk to London. Since the problem affected at least 3 aircraft it was clearly not a problem with our radios - unless the fact that we'd all got 8.33kHz radios and there is some incompatibility with London's system...