PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian pilots can work for US regionals.
Old 7th Sep 2017, 20:49
going_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gogga1
Thanks, I'm getting lots of messages with regards to your exact statement. I will probably have confirmation this afternoon, fingers crossed as that will safe me heaps of $. Ill keep you guys posted maybe there is someone in the same situation as me.
I know you asked me earlier, sorry for being a little slow. I must give credit to gogga for finding this one! I just verified things. First of all, great find man!

Since CASA no has Part 61, the CASA CIR no longer has an annual expiry. It is now the exact same as the US in that you now essentially only maintain currency. Previous issues we had were applicants having expired CIRs which was a problem once upon a time. So long story short, no longer required to do an IPC.

That being said, it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you arrive current. I doubt that most Aussies coming across have jet hours. Generally speaking, not being current and attempting to complete a dense fast pace jet course with Skywest does not give you a good chance to succeed. The regional airlines over here are fairly accommodating, but the chances of someone being cut due to a poor instrument scan early in training as opposed to someone being cut towards the end of training after the airline has already invested so much? Definitely more likely. They will help with the handling of the jet, it's all a new thing for most. But they will not teach IF scanning. I cannot stress enough of how important arriving current will be of major benefit. At the end of the day, it's the least a applicant can do. Even if it involves flying a fasca or something. Not necessary forking out heaps of $$$ for an IPC.

Great find gogga!