PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flying in Morocco GMTT GMME
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2017, 19:22
Central Scrutinizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR flying in Morocco GMTT GMME

The last week I flew from Jerez LEJR to both Tangier GMTT and Rabat GMME. I found the experience very interesting, having only flown within EU airspace before.

It's important to know the VFR routes and always have the ETAs at hand for the numerous position reports the controllers requests. The Route was: LEJR - LINTO (GMMM FIR entry point) - Asilah - Larache - IBDIR - ANIBI - SBI and then straight into RWY 21 at Rabat. Flight time 1:50h

English was never a problem, they speak well. Rabat Approach was constantly saying "Keep Victor Mike Charlie" and I was like "Where the hell is this Victor Mike Charlie", until I realized he wanted me to keep VMC which is kind of a no-brainer if I'm VFR. I guess they say it to reinforce the fact that they don't have a radar and won't be able to help me if I get into IMC.

Another thing I didn't understand was, after each readback they said "Charlie Charlie", which I had never heard before. Apparently it means "Affirm" or "Roger", not really sure as I think it's not standard R/T. Maybe someone could clarify.

The town of Moulay bou Selham and the nearby lake, along the VFR route

What I didn't like so much is that they control your route to the last inch, there's no freedom to fly as you please as I would in Spain for example. They want you to stick to the VFR routes, it's like flying IFR basically. But other than that, ATC is friendly and helpful, as in most places I've flown to.

At the airport, sometimes they didn't quite understand we were a private flight when they asked for the boarding pass. It's useful to speak some French and say "Vol privé, je suis le pilote". It's a bit annoying that there is no shorter way for General Aviation, you have to go through the terminal building and through exactly the same controls as every other commercial passenger. The Airport Reporting Office is airside both in GMTT and GMME. At least in Spain and Portugal, AROs were located on the landside.

All in all, a very nice experience and I'm glad I took the opportunity of flying to Africa being so close to it. This makes my LogBook a little bit "richer"

What experience do you have flying VFR in Morocco (or other Northern African countries)?