PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DARPA Flying Missile Rail
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2017, 18:22
unmanned_droid

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Well that is pretty damn interesting.

I'd be up for this as a professional venture, but not being american or a known name it would likely be a waste of time.

It is an interesting problem though. I've been mulling over how you build and operate military aircraft in a modern World War situation.

In my opinion, We're not able to lose many aircraft over the battle field because of the numbers available for replacements.

When your replacements run out, there is significant time taken to actually manufacture a modern combat aircraft, and when all your time intensive long lead time items run out, the time taken to get those replaced - what are we doing in that time? A lot of those long lead time items are things like very high quality steel and titanium forgings which are not made locally and can require significant 'seasoning' times before being ready for use.

Having an incredibly cheap way of boosting the effectiveness of an asset whilst at the same time reducing that assets exposure to loss has to be the way forward. And I'm not talking posh LO UAVs - it's got to be firebee type technology with even cheaper very freely available materials that do not require expensive manufacturing methods or storage regimes. Yep, it would be cool to be a part of this. I wonder just how ghetto they would go?!