PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Airlines pilot looking to move to Europ
Old 7th Sep 2017, 06:14
TriStar_drvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered commuting? As an FO near upgrade you must be on or very near the eleven year pay rate. You could bid a line that flies 4 three day trips, trade two of them to have two six day work blocks and then have two weeks off between the blocks. You will soon, or already have 4 weeks of vacation a year, giving you 4 months of the year in which you only have to fly 6 days in the month if you drop all trips that touch your vacation week. Assuming you get 90 Trips for Pay for 8 months, and 80 Trips or Pay for four months, that would give you around $162,000 for working 120 days a year while flying around 750 hours at most.

Seems like to me you could be based in Baltimore or Chicago, fly in the day before and land in the afternoon. Do six days of AM trips, then catch the evening flight back to Rome or Milan.

I don't know what the Italian government would try to take in taxes. Don't forget that you can shelter $18,000 in retirement accounts from US taxes and also receive an extra 14% of that $162,000 plus profit sharing contributed to your retirement account.

I make it sound so good I'd try it if I had an E.U. Passport. Finally if you're senior to me, ignore all of the above and resign immediately